Thursday, December 13, 2007

Day 69: Racism, still funny 12/9/07

Did some new stuff at open mic. I was planning on revamping the Hip-Hop poetry review but I left the lyrics of "Me So Horny" at home (how many times in your life do you get to utter that sentence). I brought out some one liners and metal voice again and tried some racy stuff.

There was a menorah with Christmas lights on the wall so a lot of people were making Jewish jokes so I tried this one I thought of, but never pitched, about an online Jewish dating service. It was a cheap laugh. Then I had this gay pride tag to the Christian Comix bit that a buddy helped me flush out. It had a racist tag at the end that was really funny. I did it and got some groans at the end. Then semi-off the cuff I mentioned, "it's all right, I can do that joke because the person that helped me write it is also white," which got a big laugh.

I've been flirting with this type of material for awhile. I love jokes like that with out them being gratuitous and being a straight white male, that's a thin line I walk. Somehow coming out of that joke with a joke about being white made it OK. Which seems backwards but if you think about it, if you apologize for something like that then it becomes something wrong as you knowingly said it with a guilty conscience. If you believe jokes are jokes (as I do) and stick to your guns, people (for the most part) will stand by you.

Lesson: Racism is funny.

Back-up lesson: Commitment to any material (the material, not the ideas behind them) that might be offensive will take away the offence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Один из наиболее частых примеров "нарушения привычного уклада" – развод. Это событие и сами разводящиеся, и их социальное окружение в подавляющем большинстве случаев воспринимают якобы негативное. Даже коль непосредственно супруг alias жена испытывает после развода ощущение освобождения – найдутся люди, которые начнут "щадить несчастного", конечно иногда так, сколько в конце концов он сам будет готов поверить в свое несчастье. А что быстро излагать о мужьях и женах, которые сами изначально ощущают себя "брошенными", а гибель своей семьи – "крушением всей жизни"? И всерьез не знают – "как и куда дальше перебиваться"?.. [url=http://tutledy.ru/sovmestimost-s-muzhchinoy.html]совместимость с мужчиной[/url]