Saturday, April 7, 2007

Day 9: April Fool 4/1/07

So I went two weeks with out doing comedy and I really started to feel it. No real reason I didn't go, I was just distracting myself by doing stupid shit or making excuses. I was tired but that only goes so long until it becomes lazy or unfocused or some other reality. It was bad because it's the longest I went without doing comedy and I need to keep this momentum going. I think it was the confrontation with the reality that maybe I'm not the greatest comedian of all time and that I have a lot of work ahead of me. That fact either intimidated me or bruised my vanity. Whatever it was, ego and fear are two things I can do without so... moving on.

Needing to do SOMETHING, I checked out Mainstage. It was empty when I got there (about and hour early) and Julie was there. Love her. She wondered what I've been doing and talked to me about road work etc. then she asked if I could MC that night. I was really in the mood to work a piece then chill, but I think it'll be awhile before I can bring myself to deny Julie anything so I agree. It'll just give me more time to work stuff.

For those of you that don't know Mainstage Comedy is across the street from Key Arena, home (for now) of the Seattle Supersonics. When a game gets out, a lot of drunk fans show up, usually to drown their sorrows. This night is no exception and we get a pretty good sized crowd. By the time we're supposed to start, we have three comedians signed up. Hmmm...

I go a little long in my opening. I debut a brand new bit I came up with that day now dubbed "comicon bit" which went alright for scratching it out seconds before going onstage. Then I blew the dust off of Bumbershoot bit and brought it out. There's a very dangerous 9/11 portion of the joke that has yet to land, but I think there's an audience for it somewhere... clearly not the Mainstage. Overall the opening went well and up come the comedians.

By the time I got done with my intro we had more names on the list. The first comedian was having a hard time with the crowd. They were drunk and yelling stupid shit almost all night. Whaddaryagonnado? Despite that this was one of the best open mics I've experienced yet. A lot of Seattle comic vets with good material started showing up and everyone was killing. I had a chance to use some bits off of other peoples material which was dandy. One of the biggest highlights was Autumn, the server who works there, went up and did a set for her first time and KILLED. It was great, she was totally in control and her bits were well works. Theater background. There you go. Everyone was talking about how that was the best first set they've seen. Beat the hell out of mine and I was damn proud of it. The crowd loved her and you could tell she was on Cloud 9 for the rest of the night.

Coming toward the end of the list I hear that Ty Barnett might be coming in. He's the guy from Last Comic Standing that was at my first open mic. I'm stoked because that would be a perfect cap to the night. Voila here he comes. I bring him up and don't even bother watching the time. He was awesome and dealt great with the crowd. Awesome night all around.

So for the two weeks I didn't do comedy I was constantly denying myself this joy. Stupid. I'm pissed because I kinda have a lot going on right now, but all I want to do is comedy. I've been offered a directing gig that should be great but I don't know if I want to take that time away from doing this. I have to get something in AT LEAST once a week. I'd rather go every night. Shit.

Lesson: No excuse not to do comedy.

Backup lesson: Do what Julie says.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to come out to an open mic night to see you do your stuff. Are you going to have a semi-regular schedule? Or could you post upcoming nights you'll be going to?